(click to enlarge photos)
THEN: This portrait of the Seattle Gas Company’s storage tank dates from the spring of 1907, which explains its somewhat steeper topography. In 1911, both Republican Street, here on the right, and 9th Avenue N. were lowered to a grade close to that of Westlake Avenue, which is behind the photographer.
NOW: Building C (2008) of the University of Washington Medicine Research Center at the south end of Lake Union fills the northwest corner of Republican Street and 9th Avenue. Five buildings for the Research Center are completed, with two more planned.
Here we look northwest across the intersection of 9th Avenue N. and Republican Street to the first of two gasholders, or gas storage tanks, that were quickly built in succession on this south Lake Union block. Most likely some of PacificNW’s readers will remember them, for the tanks were still around in the…
View original post 1,066 more words